Disclaimer: Electrical work can be dangerous. Injury or death may arise. This article is only for information goals. If you are not sure, look for the electrician experience. Otherwise, install on your own risk.
Do you know that more than 95% of the EV charging is done at home? If this is new to you, let's go to high transmission and talk about installing one in your.
The overwhelming majority of countries around the world are operating at 220-240 volts. Installing specific outputs for EV charger is not required in some cases, unless, of course, you do not want to charge on a higher ampening.
If you want to charge your EV in less than 1-10 hours (in most cases), you must install the charger at 2 EV. These chargers can work on 16, 24, 26 and 32 amperes. Some give you the opportunity to switch between different ampere, while others are pre-installed.
If you do not exist in the elbow lubricant and install one yourself, here are some key benefits for charging the house:
Top 3 Benefits
There is no doubt that there are obvious shortcomings for charging the house VS charging at the level of 3 locations. If you do not live in the commercial zone of the building, 440 volts will not be possible.
With this aspect placed aside, let's talk about 3 main advantages of installing a charger in your home.
- # 1 Save Time: This Will Probably Be The Most Obvious Benefit to Going from 110-120 Volts to 220-240 Volts. Level 1 Chargers CAN Only Add a Few Miles Per Hour. Unless You Have A Plug-in Hybrid Vehicle with a Small Battery, Level 1 Won't Cut It. Example: Chevy Bolt EV Charges at 110 Volts AT 12 AMPS (60kwh / 1.32kwh Charging Speed = 45.5 Hours to 100%). LETS NOW BOOST THAT Voltage to 220 and amperage to 16 (60kwh / 3.5kwh Charging Speed = 17.2 Hours to 100%). Lastly, Lets Now Boost The Amperage From 16 to 32 (60KWH / 7.0KWH CHARGING SPEED = 8.5 Hours to 100%).
- # 2 You'll Pay Less: If You Charged at Any Level 3 Charger, You Know It's Not Cheap. While It May Be Cheaper Than Gas (in Most Cases), It's Not AS Cheap AS CHARGING AT HOME. To Give You Another Example, I Want to Break Down The Costs Associated with Charging At Home Here In Winchester, Va to Charges AT The Local Electrify America Station A Few Miles Away. The EA Charger (If You Are Member) Charges $ 0.31 / KWH, Whereas The Local Utility Company Here Chargers $ 0.11 / KWH. IF You Do That May To the Bolt Ev's 60kwh Pack, A 100% Charger Would Cost ME $ 18.60 (AT HOME).
- # 3 The Ultimate Convenience: Until We Have Ev's That Cane Charger in 15 Minutes Or Less, We Need to Be Chargeing While Our Vehicles Are Not in Use. MOST ELECTRIC VEHICLES ON THE MARKET ARE DESIGNED TO CHARGE TO FULL IN LESS THAN 10 HOURS (Even ONES THAT OPTION). Any Time You Come Home, You Simply Plug in and Go About Your Business.
Criteria for the PERFECT Charger:
This part for those who have not yet bought the EV charger. If you have, go to the next step.
As I covered earlier, there are many amenities with charging at home. When it comes to getting the right charger, there are several key criteria for the search. If you save this in mind, you will have the best experience with your purchase.
This part depends on where you will mount your charger. The length of the cord is usually very similar, but not always. Once you have found the mounting location, use a roulette to measure the length between where the car charging port and the charger. It may be "coarse" evaluation, and the longer the cord, the better.
This is where you could spend a lot of money if you finish it. E.V. Estimated at a certain amperas (maximum). Take Chevy Volt since 2013, it was estimated for the maximum charging speed by 3.3 kWh. If you end up pay the charger that puts up to 6.6 kWh, it would be meaningless because the car is limited to 3.3 kWh. Price differences can be anywhere from 50 to 100 dollars (16amp vs 32amp). If you do not plan to get a car that can maintain a higher level of ampere, just get what you need at the moment.
Chargers can be supplied with a specific wall connector (for example: NEMA 14-50), or there will be raw wires that you can directly into the switch box.
If you want to spend big bucks, get a charger with the compatibility of the application. Everything is done through our phones at present, right? As JUICEBOX and CovingPoint provide support for the application. These applications allow you to track the use of energy, percentage to complete charge, date and charging time.
3 EV Chargers to Consider
Right now there are several dozen different charging devices. The choice of one can be a headache (for example, for me). In order to help you, I collected "Top 3" Recommended EV Charger for Purchase. Look!
MOREC L2 Charger
- Plug and Play Setup
- Bang for the Buck
- Small SCREEN TRACKS CHARGING SESSIONS
- Budget Friendly Charger
Charger L2 Coving
- Can Connect Via App
- Easy to install
- Beautiful Design.
- MOST FEATURE PACKED CHARGER
GRIZZL-E L2 Charger
- Chargers Up to 10kw
- High Customer Satisfaction.
- BUILT IN CANADA.
- RELIABILITY AND EASE OF USE
Today is more than ever before, we have all the necessary information for the proper work with electricity at home. Incorrect electricity processing can cause burns, blows and electrocusing (in some cases, resulting in death).
- First Things First, At A Bare Minimum, Wear Safety Glasses and Well Insulated Gloves.
- REMEMBER TO ALWAYS USE INSULATED TOOLS. Tools Are Usually Made Of Metal, An Excellent Conductor of Electricity. BE SURE THE TOOLS ARE INSULATED PROPERLY (WITH RUBBER OR PLASTIC). If Insulation IS WORN DOWN OR DAMAGED TO THE POINT WHERE YOU CAN SEE METAL, USE A DIFFERENT TOOL.
- Make Sure Your Hands Are Dry. If You Made Contact Wit Any Liquids and Your Hands Are Still Wet, You Increase Your ChanceS of Conducting Electricity. Dry They Out and Keep Your Gloves On and Dry.
- Turn Off The Power Source To The Area You are working in. In The Cases of Installing An EV Charger, Flip The Main Breaker to Avoid Any Accidental Contact or Sparks.
* Note. If you leave the area without finishing work, remove the sign, so no one includes the main switch.
EV Charger Installation Steps:
Now the time to find out how to install a charger at level 2. Below I broke each step necessary to go from A-Z.
- # 1 Kill The Power: Before You Do Any Kind of Work, It's Critical That You Cut Power to All The Terminals in the Breaker Box. IF Your Breaker Box Has a Master Switch, Flip It. In The Even There's Still Hot Wires Running, Cut the Power AT The Meter.
- # 2 Access Your Breaker Box: Once You Cut The Power, Find An Area Where You'll Install A 40 to 50-Amp Breaker Switch (Depending on How Much Your Charger Requires).
- # 3 Mount Your Charger Hub: it's time to pick a place to mount your charger. Try Installing IT Close to the Breaker Box As Things Become Much Easier to Wire Together.
- # 4 Hook-up: Take Three 6-Gauge Wires and Connect Them to the Charger Hub. You'll Need to Unscrew The Main Cover That Keeps The Charger Sealed from Outside Elements. Secure The Ground, Negative, and Positive Wires Inside The Charger. Put Everything Together and Secure The Charger to the Wall.
- # 5 Clean Wiring: NOW YOU CAN RUN WIRES TO THE BREAKER BOX. The Difficulty Will Depend On How Close The Charger Is To the Breaker Box. DON'T RUSH THIS, DOING A PROPER JOB IS CRUCIAL. You can Conceal The Wires by Running Them Through the Wall and Into The Breaker Box Area. Better Yet (Though Not Appealing), You can Use PVC FLEX TUBING WALL (See Local Code Requirements).
- # 6 Connecting to Breaker: It's Time to make the Final Connections. By Now You Should Be Working With Only Three Wires. One Ground, One Positive, and One Negative Wire. Run The Grounding Area of the Breaker Box. Aftert That, Run The Positive and Negative Wires to the Breaker Switch. Make Sure Connections Are Secure And There's No Exposed Or Loose Wiring.
- # 7 Check Connections & Power ON: By Now You Should Have Three Solid Connecting Wires. I Can't Stress Enough The Importance of Making Sure All Wires AS Secure Properly. After You've Followed the Steps to A "T", Bring The Breaker Box Back to Life by Flipping the on Switch.
- # 8 Put The Breaker Panel Cover Back On: Now That Your Charger Turns on and Works Well, Screw The Breaker Panel Cover Back Into Place. Never Leave The Cover Off.
When Should You Hire an Electrician?
If what I explained above, sounds intimidate, do not be afraid to hire an electrician. The whole process can be completed in just 1-2 hours. Expect to pay anywhere about 150-100 dollars so that everything is installed correctly. Costs are usually the lowest when the installation is performed right next to the switch box (or whatever the power supply you choose).
If you want to help with the choice of a good electrician, I wrote an article, telling the best practices in detail.
We opened a lot of information here, from major advantages, to a step-by-step installation. There are a lot for entry, but there is one thing you need to remember: Do not hesitate to make an expert to do it for you.
Electrical work can be complex, but remunerating. It can save you money, but it can also cause harm or burn your home down (with an improper state). The great thing about EV charger is that it is once installed, you can install it and forget. Enjoy the convenience of getting "driving juice" from the comfort of your own home.